Liebster Award Nominations & Questions
Thank you to the lovely blog Breathing in the Pages for nominating me! Here are the rules for the nominees:
1) Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award
2) Answer the 11 questions the blogger gave you
3) Give 11 random facts about yourself
4) Nominate blogs you think are deserving of the award
5) Let the bloggers know you have nominated them
6) Give them 11 questions to answer
Answers to Blogger's Questions:
What's your favorite genre?
Contemporary Fiction. And I generally prefer books that are a bit dark or irreverent; tales about happy-go-lucky heroes/heroines often fail to captivate me.
When did you start loving to read?
When I was eight. I casually revealed to my siblings that I had read twenty-six books that summer—they mocked me mercilessly, and I realized not everyone shared my passion—I had previously assumed a love for books was universal.
Where is your favorite place to read?
Outside! My favorite places in the world to read are on the porch of my house in the Catskill Mountains and the dock of my grandparents’ house on one of the Finger Lakes, in Upstate New York.
What's your favorite color?
Depends on the day; sometimes pastels like lavender and mint, other days I prefer bright red or cobalt blue.
How do you feel about the Selection Series?
I had to Google it to find out what it was!
Have you ever traveled outside your home country?
Yes—I’ve actually lived abroad twice, once in Switzerland, and once in South Africa. I adore travel!
How long do you usually spend in a bookstore?
I like to go alone, because when I bring people they get annoyed with how long I’m taking! I normally spend at least an hour.
What type of book do you prefer?
I don't read e-books because of my all-consuming obsession with beautiful book covers. No preference when it comes to hardcover vs. paperback
Do you drink anything (tea/coffee/water) when you read?
I always drink tea when I read—my favorite kind is of tea is South African rooibos. Løv Organics makes an excellent one!
How do you feel about graphic novels?
I don’t generally read them but I will say that my cousin, sister and I had an all-consuming obsessing with Betty & Veronica comic books growing up [semi-related!]
Do you watch book trailers?
No, but once I had to make one as an assignment for a college class.
11 Random Facts:
1. Growing up, my favorite book series was Betsy/Tacy
2. After I read The Phantom Tollbooth as a child, I decided I wanted to live in one when I grew up.
3. I watched the movie version of The Shining when I was 12 and wasn't remotely scared by it. I read the book last year and couldn't sleep for a week!
4. I have two dogs, and one of them, Scout, is named after the character from To Kill A Mockingbird. The other one is named after football player Reggie Bush [my family boasts a diverse profile of interests]
5. That being said, my sister named her - ashamed to admit I haven't read it yet! It's on my list for summer.
7. I was a Political Science major in college, and I read some of my now-favorite books for Government classes.
8. When I read trilogies, I generally lose interest after the second book [The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo & Divergent series exemplify this for me]
9. The best book I read for a class was The Status Seekers, a book about society in the late 1950s by Vance Packard. I read it for my Politics and Society of the 1960s Class [we read it to serve as a point of comparison for society in the respective decades], which I took the fall of my senior year in college. It's a quick and fascinating read. I also loved The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, which I read for the same class.
10. I hate eating while I read. It's literally the only time I don't want to eat...
11. Like most people, I read theSkimm - and I love their SkimmReads feature!
Useless Book Club: https://uselessbookclub.wordpress.com/
Book Owly: https://bookowly.wordpress.com
Literary Truce http://literarytruce.com/
Wanderlusty Writer: http://wanderlustywriter.com/
A Little Blog of Books http://alittleblogofbooks.com/
What’s the best book you’ve read for an academic course?
Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or local bookstore?
What movie version of a book did you find most disappointing?
What made you decide to start a book blog?
Why do you read?
Who is your favorite author from a different country than you?
Where do you get your book recommendations?
What are your favorite hobbies apart from reading?
What fictional book character would you most like to be friends with in real life?
Who is your least favorite fictional book character?
Answer this question in one sentence: why do you read?